Owning a car is increasingly expensive and not very environmentally friendly.
In some cities, it can take up to an hour to find a parking spot. And once you finally do, you have to pay through the nose for the privilege.
Electric cargo bikes are the perfect solution for people who want the convenience of a car without any of the drawbacks. They’re affordable, environmentally friendly, don’t require any special parking permits or accommodations, and are perfect for families and people who want to get around town in a more greenway.
Take a look at our list to find the best electric cargo bike for your needs.
So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and go green!
The Urban Arrow Family Electric Cargo Bike is perfect for environmentally conscious families who want to get around town quickly and easily.
This bike has a 3 to 4 hour charge time with an average range of 30 miles but up to 50 miles in optimal conditions, making it the perfect choice for short errands or long trips.
Safety comes first with the Family bikes and a lowered children’s seating position makes for an overall lower centre of gravity.
The 15.5 mph assisted speed means that you can cover a lot of ground quickly (you’ll never have to worry about being late again with this bike!), and the hydraulic disc brakes provide great stopping power.
- Aluminum Alloy Frame Strong enough to protect while being comfortable and easy to ride with.
- Bosch PowerPack 400 Battery Great range thanks to the included BoschPowerPack 400 battery. You can expect to travel up to 50 miles in optimal riding conditions on a full charge.
- 4 Amp Charger A lightweight and very powerful charger. Recharging your battery from 0% to 100% in 3 to 4 hours.
- Bosch Performance Line Cruise 600 W / 50 Nm Motor Mid-drive motor able to drive around the family eBike.
- Bosch Intuvia Display 2.7’’ backlit LCD removal display to track various riding metrics.
- Fully Enclosed Enviolo Powered by NuVinci Continuously Variable Transmission By having the drivetrain fully enclosed, you’ll almost never have to reset your chain or perform maintenance.
- Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 55 – 406 20’’ by 1.75’’ tires Short, thin tires that ride low to the ground for greater stability, manoeuvrability, and overall handling.
- Ergotec Moon Cruiser Handlebars with Selle Royal Rio Plus Saddle Swept back handlebars with ergonomic grips. Selle Royal Rio Plus saddle is cushy to sit on and gives you good clearance to keep track of your family riding upfront in the family seating container.
- Customizable Braking System You have several options when it comes to brakes for your Urban Arrow Family. The best braking system we recommend is the Shimano 180 mm rotor Deore hydraulic disc brakes, providing fantastic stopping power and lasting longer than your typical mechanical disc brake setup.
£4,750.00 (standard configuration, without accessories)
The Urban Arrow Family Electric Cargo Bike with a specific focus on safety, superb capacity and capability for both cargo and people, powerful Bosch motor, pleasant ride, and lots of well-considered details makes it a genuine car replacement for urban families.
The Tern GSD S00 was created specifically for people who want to enjoy the convenience of biking without having to buy a cargo bike that is too large or cumbersome for urban use.
The Tern GSD S00 powerful motor helps you to easily navigate through traffic and hills, and the battery lasts for up to 45 miles on a single charge.
The Tern GSD S00 is also equipped with a smart display that allows you to keep track of your speed, distance, and battery life.
- Bosch Cargo Line Motor provides up to 85 Nm of torque and 400% support
- Bosch dual-battery system (500 Wh) for a range of up to 128 miles (206 km)
- Heavy-duty, continuously variable Enviolo SP hub
- Gates CDX Belt Drive is silent, smooth, and virtually maintenance-free
- Adjustable cockpit comfortably fits riders 150 – 195 cm (4’11” – 6’5″)
- Atlas Lockstand Super tough, auto-locks when engaged—just press a button on the handlebars to unlock
- Magura MT5 eSTOP 4-piston hydraulic disc brakes Powerful and responsive braking
- RearStop Brake Light Always-on for your safety
- Fits two Thule Yepp Maxi seats no adapters are needed
- Abus Wheel Lock Integrated and keyed- same with the battery
£5,700.00 (standard configuration, without accessories)
A lightweight durable aluminium frame makes it easy to manoeuvre, even with a heavy load, and with a more upright riding geometry for better posture.
Overall, the Tern GSD S00 is a great choice for everyday life. This compact and durable beauty has been designed to carry kids and a week’s worth of groceries that is efficient, and easy to use.
If you’re looking for a cargo bike that has it all, the Tern GSD S00 Gen 2 is definitely worth checking out.
Here it is! An electric cargo bike that you can actually afford!
- Lithium NMC Samsung 35 Battery – 48V, 14 Ah (672 Wh) rated for 800 charge cycles and a range of 55 to 88 KM (estimate)
- Rad Power Bikes smart charger 2 Amp 48V, operates on 230V AC power outlets
- Throttle Half grip twist power assist up to 6 km/h without pedalling
- Backlit LCD Display with charge indicator, speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, pedal assist level, wattmeter, and more
- Rad Power Bikes branded standard LED lights for front lights and integrated rear light with Brake Light Indicator Functionality
- Integrated Rear Rack attach panniers platforms, or baskets and let the bike carry your cargo. Or mount a Yepp Maxi child seat, Caboose, or Deckhand to bring up to two kids along for the ride.
- 250W Geared Hub Motor Fast durable power! Whether you’re running errands or enjoying a fun weekend ride, the RadWagon 4 250W Geared Hub Motor provides a good amount of low-end torque along with general durability. Making it the ideal option for this versatile e-bike with a top speed of 25 km/h
- 7-Speed, 11-34 Tooth Freewheel A wide range of gearing at your disposal means more torque for steep climbs and relaxed cruising at top speed.
If you’re looking for an affordable and efficient electric cargo bike, the RadWagon is a great option. It comes with a powerful motor, is easy to use, and is perfect for families or people who want to get around town in a more environmentally friendly way.
It’s the strongest and most versatile version of the RadWagon yet, featuring smaller, innovative new tires developed to achieve a lower center of gravity. Its patent-pending new frame design ensures multiple points of adjustability, including a telescopic seat post and easily manoeuvrable handlebars.
What are electric cargo bikes?
Electric cargo bikes are essentially electric bikes that have been outfitted with a small electric motor to help riders pedal uphill or carry heavy loads. There are a variety of different types of electric cargo bikes available on the market, including tricycles, quadricycles, and box bikes.
Each type of electric cargo bike has its own unique set of benefits and drawbacks. For example, tricycles are typically more manoeuvrable than quadricycles, but they can be more difficult to ride in windy conditions. Box bikes are perfect for carrying large loads, but they can be more difficult to pedal uphill than other types of electric cargo bikes.
Which are the best cargo bikes?
Ultimately, the best type of electric cargo bike will depend on how you plan to use it and your own personal preferences around things such as riding style, and storage space.
Some offer an adjustable wheelbase and a step-through frame for ease of use.
Whether you’re looking for folding bikes, something you can take mountain biking with full suspension, or just a sturdy e cargo bike to help carry loads over hilly terrain, there will be an e-bike out there to suit.
Having an electrically assisted cargo bike can make for a smooth ride, they are great for carrying heavy loads even if you are on flat terrain, and will make light work of it over a regular bike.
How do they work?
The best ones have two motors – one electric motor powers the bike while the other is used to help with carrying cargo. This makes it easier to get up steep hills and over terrain over a conventional bike.
How much does an electric cargo bike cost?
Electric cargo bike costs vary considerably ranging from around £1,000 up to over £10,000 for a fully loaded model.
Options around the battery pack, suspension fork, cargo box, gear range, whether you are looking for integrated lights, a bike suitable to carry up to three kids and complete with seat belts for added safety will impact what you pay.
How much does an electric cargo bike cost to run?
Operating costs for e cargo bikes are typically low. You’ll need to replace brake pads and tyres after about 18 months (depending on usage). Full-length chain covers keep drivetrain wear at an impressive minimum since they are always shielded from dirt and debris.
As is the case with other bikes, you will need to change bulbs with front and rear lights and hitting potholes may mean a trip to the local bike shop to replace a buckled front wheel (or rear wheel). These are typical wear and tear you would get with any form of transport regardless of whether you’re using your cargo bike around the hills of San Francisco or the relative flats of Cambridge.
Charging costs are low (relative to fueling a car) and there are no other fees typically associated with automobiles such as road tax and insurance.
You may just find that you just don’t need that car so as well as being great for the environment you could save money.
Why are electric cargo bikes so expensive?
What’s so cheap about bike batteries? Bikes are generally not cheap but adding a motor or battery and this price could be significantly higher.
E-cargo bikes are a great alternative to cars for people who want the convenience and flexibility of a car without any drawbacks. They’re affordable, environmentally friendly, have great carrying capacity, don’t require any special parking permits or accommodations, and are perfect for families and people who want to get around town in a more greenway.
- Save money with less hassle of owning a car – an e cargo bike is more cost-effective and will save plenty on fuel costs
- Whether it be on bike trails or city streets, e cargo bikes are better for the environment than driving cars
So if a normal bike doesn’t cut it as you need carrying capacity, or perhaps you’re considering a second car you may just find that you can still get what you need with two wheels. We have covered only a small number of cargo e-bikes but please check out other electric bike reviews if nothing here hits the mark.